The Heroes of Brindol

Zarriksa and are these mushrooms edible?
Scrawled by Skardreg

After a brief rest, out of range of the moving braziers, Pangeon went back outside to lead their pack mule down into the room and to keep it from becoming too skittish, stayed with it while the party ventured forth through the doors to the North. A plaque on the wall displayed the words “To Rivenroar Family“, indicating that there were potentially crypts in the vicinity.

Through the doors a staircase led down into the dark below and opened out into a wide cavern. What little light there was revealed a number of mushroom like growths scattered about. Although the light was poor, sound travelled well in the cavern and the party could hear the unmistakeable sound of heavy, inhuman breathing. They were not alone. Skardreg, taking the lead moved out a short way to get a better look with his low light vision and was able to discern the shape of two Rage Drakes, hunkering down further back in the cavern.

Turning to look at Clarissa who had moved up beside him, Skardreg un-looped his battleaxe and shot her a silly, tusk filled grin, bellowed a challenge at the drakes and charged the nearest, engaging it in combat. Shaking their heads, the party took up position and entered the fray. However, upon passing the nearest mushrooms they exploded in a combination of blinding smoke and ear splitting screams. What were these things?!

The combat was fierce and bloody. Ensuring those injured were provided with aid, Wired used his repertoire of skills to heal the party and debilitate the Drakes. Clarissa and Ravavyr using their nimbleness proceeded to bleed the lead Drake with viscous back-stabs and shots from hand crossbows, supported by curses and Eldritch Blasts from Francis, weakening it considerably. Seeing its own kind being so savagely attacked the second Rage Drake advanced on Skardreg and Clarissa, passing yet more of the mushrooms and setting them off with a dangerous poison effect that enveloped Skardreg, who inhaled a good amount of it. Faced with the prospect of being incapacitated Skardreg blocked a vicious attack from the Drake behind him, pivoted on his feet and used all his strength to deliver a wicked blow to the first Drake’s neck, severing the head in one clean blow.

In amongst the chaos, Francis spotted that two Goblin arches had rappelled down to the cavern from holes in the roof. One of the Goblins landed in the middle of a patch of mushrooms and disappeared in cloud of poison and screams. Not trusting that the Goblin was dead, Francis teleported as close as he dared and sent a deadly Firery Burst through the air, arcing to towards the creature but his aim was off and it impacted harmlessly into the wall behind.

Having dispatched the second Drake with Clarissa and Skardreg, (who by now was looking very unsteady on his feet on account of the poison), Ravavyr fared better than Francis and sent a bolt from his hand crossbow thudding into the Goblin’s side. The Goblin look down at the bolt sticking out of it, back to Ravavyr and took a large lungful of poison which proved to be it’s last breath and toppled to the floor.

The remaining Goblin fired off an aimless shot from its short bow and started to shinny back up the rope towards were it came from. Taking advantage of this opportunity, Ravavyr and Clarissa loosed bolts from their hand crossbows at the defenseless Goblin, several finding their mark however it was not enough to take it down and it scurried up the rope and disappeared into the roof above.

With the dust settling after the encounter, the party moved into the adjacent room to the East, where they came upon an old lady who turned out to be Zarriksa, a herbalist from Brindol. She was trapped in the middle of some type of magic symbol which inflicted harm on both the occupant and anyone fool enough to touch it. After some pondering and discussion between Francis and Zarriksa, both Clarissa and Ravavyr wiped away some of the symbol when they discovered that it momentarily flickered every now and then and were able to release Zarriksa from her prison. Zarriksa was not particularly grateful and made several rude comments to the party. Ever the gentleman, and undeterred by the crotchety Zarriksa, Francis continued to be gracious and offered to escort her back to the level above where Pangeon was waiting for the group with the pack mule.

View
Smoke on the breeze

From the quill of Clarissa

We pressed further onward, heading east into the mountains along the road. We came across some old ruins and almost just set up camp for the night, when Clarissa caught a scent of wood-smoke It turns out it was coming out of some thin clefts in the rocks beneath us.

At that point, we inspected the ruins closer and discovered that they had been taken down purposefully to make it appear as if it had been demolished. A set of stairs led deeper into the earth and stone beneath the tower and from there, we found a pair of hobgoblin soldiers and two goblin archers.

The battle was fierce and some kind of braziers kept sliding across the floor blasting fire back and forth. Clarissa thought it was a trap of some sorts that would blast fire out onto the stairs and urged everyone to push the hobgoblins out of the way. They had locked shields and trapped us in the stairs.

Skardreg charged down the stairs and shoved one of the hobgoblins out of formation. This enabled Pangeon to move up and isolate the other hobgoblin. Clarissa took advantage of the opening to shift through the space between them and make it into the open area between the hobgoblins and the archers.

Clarissa taunted the goblins, trying to intimidate them into surrendering. It didn’t work and just made them laugh, but their attacks were ineffectual leaving one of them at a disadvantage after fumbling. They stopped laughing when she slipped the point of her rapier into the heart of a hobgoblin, slipping between the ribs next to the spine. The next round, Clarissa turned into a wolf and dashed towards the goblin… moments later its throat was ripped out and the corpse slumped to the ground.

The remaining goblin fled down a hall, trailing bloody wounds from a bite wound and a fearsome attack by Skardregs axe. Clarissa took the opportunity to run back towards the remaining hobgoblin, shifting back to her human form and put a crossbow bolt into the back of its neck, dropping him where he stood.

View
Someone has been sleeping in my bed

From the quill of Clarissa
Last week, we secured provisions from the townsfolk of Brindol at no cost to ourselves. Enough trail rations to last us all at least twenty days each. After a lengthy and private interrogation of the hobgoblin captive, we determined that the best route to find the missing townsfolk was to travel northwest out of Brindol towards Witchcross and then skirt the burnt grasslands and head northeast into the mountains.

It appears that Witchcross suffered greatly at the hands of the hobgoblins and their allies. We weren’t able to find anyone at all in town… so we left and camped out easy of town in a sheltered grove along the river.

The next day, we went straight north into the mountains and had to backtrack a little to get onto the ridge that the Old Road the hobgoblin told us about. We eventually came across this cave and so… we investigated. Turns out it was inhabited by a rather furious cave bear, who was fortunately moderately wounded after tangling with two hobgoblins… whose bodies were rotting in a nearby pool of water.

We left a cave bear cub in the cave… may try to go back later and take it into town to sell. Someone might like to try training it.
Combat with the bear, found key shaped like a displacer beast on one of the 2 hobgoblins in a pool in the bear cave.
They had a lot (comparitively) of money on them a total of 50 gp as well as the key.

Bear cub given some jerky by Clarissa, looking to suckle on its dead mother.
Spent the night.

View
First Encounter

Ravavyr strides towards the gates
Ravavyr: hah!
Wired scratches head
Ravavyr: Off to the pub it is, maybe find a job
Pangeon: pub as well for Pangeon
Clarissa: Clarissa is dressed in a style very dissimilar from the locals.
Pangeon: I simply find an open stool that looks to be able to accomodate my weight. I ask Clarissa if she could refill my waterskin and bring me a mead
Ravavyr leans against the wall, scoping out the crowd
Pangeon: My thanks to Clarissa
Clarissa: @Pangeon > You seem to be as out of place here as I am. Whereabouts are you from?
Clarissa idly spins a silver coin on the bartop.
Pangeon: @Clarissa > I’m from a northern mountain tribe. I left to work among the humans and chose to leave the last town roughly 2 days from here
Ravavyr finds it quite a calm town, wonders if there’s anything going on in the Witchwood
Roy DePhillip quietly sips his suddenly free mead
Wired rolled : 1d20=12
Pangeon sips his mead again
Clarissa: Know of any crossings around here?
Clarissa looks at Pangeon.
Pangeon: What do you mean crossings?
Clarissa: Between this realm and the Feywild.
Pangeon: I’m afraid I’ve never been nor do I know if I’ve had the honor of seeing such a ‘crossing’
Clarissa frowns.
Pangeon perks up at the mention of money for using a weapon
Clarissa: This is disconcerting. I’d like to return to Shinaelestra.
Francis Stormbellows rolled 1
1 =
1
Pangeon: I’d like to return home little one, but some things simply aren’t available to us now are they
Clarissa: True, I suppose. Perhaps this path is the one I am meant to take.
Pangeon: It’s at the very least the one you’ve found!
Clarissa snorts.
Clarissa: Found? More like shoved through. The Mag Tureah like to experiment on their slaves.
Pangeon: Slaves? No man should be imprisoned for the benefit of another… What sort of dishonorable scum would do such a thing?
Ravavyr wanders up to Pangeon
Pangeon furrows his brow obviously upset over this concept
Francis: Bandit lord? I say we get him
Clarissa: Fomorians. I was captured by them during a raid on a border-crossing.
Ravavyr: You seem to know your way around weapons, know of any available work with that expertise?
Ravavyr: ?
Pangeon: I’ve yet to ask… uh… I’m afraid I do not know you.
Ravavyr: I see, you are not from here, neither am I, I seek work though
Pangeon: I’m always working if the price is right, but I rarely go out looking for a fight anymore
Ravavyr catches wind of the bandit lord talk
Ravavyr turns to Pangeon
Ravavyr: it seems those fellas know of some sort of work
Pangeon sips his mead again… curious about the attraction of the wee ones that have come to him
Francis rolled : 1d20
8
14 =
6
8
Ravavyr follows the big guy to the table
Pangeon chuckles and seems to be losing interest
Pangeon: What reason do we have specifically to seek him out?
Francis: money
Francis: to get paid Pangeon. Plus the bandits seem to be causing harm to the town.
Pangeon: Only money then? What have they done to the town then?
Francis: I think we are about to find out.
Ravavyr: It would seem they cause trouble to those visiting the town, it would seem a just cause to get paid for as well
Clarissa: Well, brigands, cutthroats, and their sort tend to escalate their attacks over time due to success. They might even attract more followers as a result.
Pangeon: I think I could tag along then, but I’m not confident of just cause. I just entered this town and saw no issues from bandits or cut throats
Clarissa: I’ve dealt with them a time or two while training with the border-crossing militia in Brokenstone Vale.
Pangeon: Ah! Well then… we should detain them.
Ravavyr: Big fella, if not for this job, what is it you plan to do for money right now?
Wired: I heard the last merhcnat train before ours was ambushed by bandits
Pangeon Not having confidence in the chairs he leans against the wall
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20= 9
Pangeon: @Ravavyr > You assume I have problems with money at this time. Work will find me… it always does.
Ravavyr: no one carries much money with them these days…
Ravavyr: wait, what’s that outside?
Wired: Lets check it out
Pangeon approaches a window and leans down to peer out
Ravavyr is amused by the big fella not fitting into this place
Pangeon points out the window
Pangeon: Now this is a reason to fight
Pangeon draws his shield and Battle Axe
Wired: I think we best try and sort this out and save as many people as we can
Pangeon grunts at the diplomacy
Ravavyr steps behind the big guy
Francis: Guys, I think we may have to take these guys out.
Francis: They don’t look too friendly.
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20
7 =
7
Pangeon rolled : 1d20
1
10 =
9
1
Francis rolled : 1d20
1
6 =
5
1
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
4
5 =
1
4
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20 +4
22 =
18
+4
Wired rolled : 1d20
10 =
10
Mark Billanie: Hobgoblin /d d20
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
7 =
7
Clarissa: Type /roll 1d20 Hobgoblin
Clarissa: Hrm. Or not.
Mark Billanie: Goblin
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
20 =
20
Pangeon rolled : 1d20
3
18 =
15
3
Wired rolled : 1d20[hobgoblin]
17 =
17
[hobgoblin]
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
20 =
20
Mark Billanie: 1d20 [goblin]
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
6 =
6
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
8 =
8
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
15 =
15
Mark Billanie: d/ d20
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
18 =
18
Pangeon rolled : 1d20
6
16 =
10
6
Pangeon rolled : 2d10
10 =
2
8
Wired rolled : 1d8
5
11 =
6
5
Wired rolled : 1d20
5 =
5
Wired rolled : 1d6
6
8 =
2
6
Pangeon rolled : 1d20
3
11 =
8
3
Ravavyr thinks to himself, clumsy big fella!
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20
6 =
6
Ravavyr thinks to himself, drats!
Mark Billanie rolled : d20 +6
23 =
17
+6
Mark Billanie rolled : d4
2 =
2
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
18 =
18
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
1 =
1
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
1 =
1
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
18 =
18
Francis rolled : 1d20
2
13 =
11
2
Francis rolled : 1d20
2
13 =
11
2
Francis rolled : 1d20
2
4 =
2
2
Francis rolled : 1d6
2
4 =
2
2
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
7
19 =
12
7
Clarissa rolled : 1d8
6
13 =
7
6
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
8 =
8
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
15 =
15
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
18 =
18
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
5
8 =
3
5
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
10 =
10
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
3 =
3
Wired rolled : 1d20
5
17 =
12
5
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20
11 =
11
Ravavyr feels remarkably clumsy
Francis rolled : 1d20
7
10 =
3
7
Francis rolled : 1d6
7
8 =
1
7
Wired rolled : 1d20
5
24 =
19
5
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
6
19 =
13
6
Clarissa rolled : 1d10
3
6 =
3
3
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
20 =
20
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
12 =
12
Mark Billanie rolled : d6 +2
8 =
6
+2
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
4 =
4
Francis rolled : 1d6
3
5 =
2
3
Francis rolled : 1d20
3
16 =
13
3
Francis rolled : 1d10
3
5 =
2
3
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
8
17 =
9
8
Clarissa rolled : 1d8
6
12 =
6
6
Ravavyr: hurray lol
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
10 =
10
Francis: skardreg is hard core
Wired: we need him in our group
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20
12 =
12
Ravavyr rolled : 1d6 +5
6 =
1
+5
Skardreg rolled : 1d20
9
14 =
5
9
Wired rolled : 1d20
18 =
18
Wired rolled : 1d6
5
9 =
4
5
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
5
11 =
6
5
Clarissa rolled : 1d10
3
6 =
3
3
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
18 =
18
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
2 =
2
Mark Billanie rolled : d6
5 =
5
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
12 =
12
Francis rolled : 1d20
3
14 =
11
3
Francis rolled : 1d10
3
7 =
4
3
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
7
20 =
13
7
Clarissa rolled : 1d8
6
8 =
2
6
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
3 =
3
Ravavyr rolled : 1d20 +4 +2
7 =
1
+4
2
Skardreg roll 1d20+9 rolled : 1d20+9
17 =
8
9
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
5-2
21 =
18
5-2
Clarissa rolled : 1d10
3
8 =
5
3
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
4 =
4
Mark Billanie rolled : d20
9 =
9
Clarissa rolled : 1d20
5-2
14 =
11
5-2
Clarissa rolled : 1d10
3
13 =
10
3
Francis rolled : d20
3
21 =
18
3
Francis rolled : 3d6
3
18 =
6
6
3
3
Skardreg roll 1d20
9 rolled : 1d20+5

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.